Thank you for activating, we greatly appreciate your support. Please take the following link to take a survey that will help us deliver the best product for you and a chance to get another free kit.
Location: Torrance, CA (LABioMed @ Harbor UCLA)
Job Type: Full-Time, Salaried with Full Benefits & Stock Options
Reports to: CTO/CSO
Basepaws is a pet genetics company. We are looking to provide the same degree of care for pets as their human counterparts. We focus on the use of high throughput sequencing approaches, computational biology, systems biology, and machine learning to identify novel genetic factors that may influence your pet’s health. We have substantial outreach efforts to both wildlife conservation and sponsoring of genetic testing for sick cats, and we are looking to construct the largest cat genotypic and phenotypic data repository.
We are currently looking to hire a full-time Staff Scientist that has experience working with laboratory automation and high throughput sample handling in DNA extraction protocols. As a Basepaws Staff Scientist, you have the ability to become a leader in the field of feline genetics and pioneer an underfunded research area. There are opportunity and resources to develop new protocols and robotics which will become instrumental in Basepaws’ scientific workflow. Your primary function is to improve and automate our DNA isolation methods and work with whole genome amplification approaches.
At Basepaws there is substantial flexibility to pursue your engineering and research interests after fulfilling principal responsibilities. There are numerous avenues for advancement and flexibility. You will interact with scientific and executive teams to guide the company and make significant contributions. You will also have an opportunity to interact with pet owners to develop novel DNA collection mechanisms that satisfy their needs. We have a strong preference toward individuals that are creative and curious about what is currently an understudied field.
- Masters, Ph.D., D.V.M., or M.D. degree in a relevant field (e.g. Molecular Biology, Ecology, Molecular Biology)
- Experience working with different formats of DNA extraction (e.g. silica column, isopropanol, phenol-chloroform, ultrafiltration)
- Experience working with whole genome amplification.
- Experience with standard molecular biology techniques including PCR, molecular cloning, DNA shearing, adapter ligation/purification, and DNA analysis.
- Strong scientific understanding of molecular biology and genetics.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to communicate effectively with all levels of the organization is a must.
- Excellent documentation and ability to train others in completing the protocol.
- Operates and maintains necessary analytical instrumentation, including sample grinders, balances, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, liquid handlers and other equipment associated with molecular and biological analysis
- Strong desire to impact the health of cats.
- 2+ years of experience working in a molecular biology laboratory or genomics core facility.
- Experience in modifying DNA extraction protocols and understands nuances of a particular protocol.
- Experience with NGS library preparation methodologies.
- Experience using and programming laboratory automation is strongly preferred.
- Desire to work in a startup environment
- Able to work without supervision and able to make critical decisions such as purchasing and hiring.
- Information Services
Employment Type Full-time
How to apply:
Send your resume (or CV) and cover letter to email@example.com